Friday, December 21, 2012

The battle on the OS...

I came across this piece: http://www.zdnet.com/windows-has-fallen-behind-apple-ios-and-google-android-7000008699/, and I'm all nostalgic now...

I had an Atari, my first computer was Apple IIc,  bunch of my friends had a Commodore 64 (I envied them, it was much cooler than the Apple!) and Amiga (wow!!).

Then arrived almost 2 lost decades where people knew* that Wintel is the only thing out there, and couldn't believe there was or ever will be anything else. Just like in the quote from MIB below...

Thank you smartphone, and thank you RIM, Apple and then Google. You made the world a better place.
I know you're not doing anything for us, you're doing it for your own good, to generate value and yield for your stockholders, while pumping ridiculous paychecks to the executives...

Still, you managed to make the world a better, more interesting place to live in, and more challenges to cope with... Big Data, OLTP velocity, app and data sprawl. More challenges for people like me to seek a solution for! You made scalability a big challenge! So, thank you.

BTW, as it turns out to be, I have a Wintel laptop and a Nokia Windows (splendid!) phone, but I'm doing it out of being open minded, and celebrating plurality!


* - The unforgettable quote from "Men In Black":

"...Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow"

No comments:

Post a Comment